In a cohesive team, the sum is more than the parts. You’re just one part, so how do you make this happen?
Synergy is an outcome – a blend of individual contributions that’s a new idea, decision or action. Your contribution is still in there, just transformed. To synergise to actively make synergy happen, the executive mindset where you work with colleagues to create that blended result. You have to seek it out.
To synergise is tough. It demands from you:
- Expert knowledge/beginner’s mindset
- Confidence to assert/humility to listen
- Engagement/letting go
- Work fast/work deep
- Address the whole system/dismantle the details
Done well, seeking synergy is a leader’s core creative process, exhilarating but also humbling. Everyone grows and creates together – and you get to know each other better.
There are plenty of problems to address this way. Each of our global issues is playing out in some way in your business. Which of these affects you most?
- Store and transport products without plastic.
- Collaborate without face to face relationships.
- Make land productive while protecting it.
- Bring the oceans back into balance.
- Blend material ambition with community caring.
This is the work that makes work worthwhile and those able to synergise, not just add or argue, will unearth opportunity conflict ridden teams will miss.